Look ma! I can fiberglass!

    So doing the centerboard trunk inside face fiber glassing. At first, I attempted to just dump the mixed epoxy (2 hardener, 2 resin) then brush outward from the center. This did not work so well. So after a bit of experimenting I found that if I leave the mix in the cup, dumping a small line of it where I wanted to apply. Then once I got my line I would lightly spread it out and then work it into the glass with my brush. Once I ran out of mix (4 hard / 4 Resin) I would make another batch. Takes approx. 5 batches of 4 hardener and 4 resin to do the centerboard wetting out. It looks just like all the pictures in the manual and internet so I'm guess I'm on the right path. I have learned my first skill needed to make boat repairs in exotic places. Worst part was I forgot to put on bug spray and the mosquitoes had a very large breakfast.
1st coat wetting out the glass

After 2 hours i went back out and checked and it is tacky so i applied coat number2! Only issue is there seems to be ridge in the glass on the 2nd board. No air under it just a mound. I put extra epoxy in this area and attempted to press it down but it didn't help much, oh well sanding will make it smooth. :D


2nd coat, you can see the ridge in the far board.


coat 3! So shiny

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So it begins

Read the instructions three times, measure 47 times, cut once or twice

Freezing weather sickness and.. progress!