Give em the clamps!

So I did not make all the goals I wanted this weekend. The reason being I suck at cutting wood, or actually anything to do with wood. For instance on Wednesday night I bought a bunch of wood in 2x1x6 feet and 1.5x1x6 feet. But what I didn't realize is that was actually 1.5x.75x6 feet and 1x.75x6feet chunks of wood. I why wood is labeled this way I do not know. But whatever.

Also I learned that hand sawing anything beyond 2 inches even with a guide is near impossible for me, the cuts too me back to high school wood shop, yick! My first version of the wood was wavy and too damn small in all the angles.
Two new tools

So I first purchased the band saw but discovered that what I thought would be a straight edge on a piece of wood was crappy and rounded and just over all not good. I'm not looking to build a masterpiece of a wooden boat but something that hits the measurements within an 1/8th of inch would be nice.

So back to the store for more wood, as I ran out! and I picked up a cool little table saw. Once I figured out what ripping was from youtube and after a few cuts, I was a master at making wooden sticks. By the end of Saturday I had made the two vertical sticks needed for the centerboard trunk.

Sunday I did the two hardest sticks as they had angles and crap and curls. But that was done relatively quickly. I busted out the block plane and removed all the excess fiberglass on the centerboard trunk sides. Once done I moved outside with eye protection and Darth Vader looking mask to my first experience sanding. Quickly mixing up a bunch of wood flour into a batch of epoxy to slather on the sticks with the goo and give 'em the clamps!
I hope it sticks!



I need more clamps!

Running out of room
Hopefully after it dries tomorrow I can sand it down and true up all the sticks to the one side of the centerboard. Then glue the other one up Tuesday night. But this weekend was another page complete toward my ultimate goal of silence with nothing but waves and wind and tapping rigging.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So it begins

Read the instructions three times, measure 47 times, cut once or twice

Freezing weather sickness and.. progress!