So it begins

I sit at my job daydreaming about sailing around the world. I'm tired of 290 traffic, I'm tired of working weekends. I long for the silence of the ocean, the youtube videos that are my favorite have no sound but the wind, waves and gentle tapping of the rigging.

I have never sailed in my life, I have never even been on a boat bigger than my dads 20 foot jet boat. Yet as I watch all these youtube videos of people sailing around, some have issues, some appearing to be high and drunk but all of them sailing.

I have set a date. I will quit whatever job I am working at on Aug 1st 2027 and I will sail around the world.

So I start with the basics, I read and watch and research all these different people sailing around and recording it. I compare their boats, I research the costs. I see what I need.

Funny thing is it just appears you need a will to do it. Sell everything, buy a boat and just go! I would have but I have a daughter so I make a 10 year plan instead.

1) At the end of ten years I will have as close to 40k passive income per year. I'm looking into buying houses and getting them rented, also stocks with dividends that will reinvest in themselves to build up. As long as I hit 10k a year I think I will be poor but happy, or a pirate.

2) I will take some ASA courses to learn how to sail correctly and prep myself for the big adventure. God help me if I don't have GPS currently

3) I will get a small boat as soon as I can then drag behind a car and sail the shit out of it.

4) I will learn boat systems so when I have to make repairs in the middle of nowhere I will know what I am doing or at least look like I do.


So deep into my research For 3 and 4 I run across the CLC's Pocketship. It looks like a sailboat, it has room to sleep two for over night trips. It can be pulled behind a 4 banger, maybe my miata if I'm crazy enough. Relatively cheap for what it is, about 1/2 price of a comparable purchased boat. It will also allow me to get step 4 complete as well!

So I pulled the trigger and went for it. All my friends laugh and say I just purchased a nice pile of wood, I tell them I bought a boat that is shaped like plywood but soon I will be out in the silence with the wind, waves and my own rigging tapping along.





Comments

  1. You can do it! If I can build one of these things anyone can : )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Read the instructions three times, measure 47 times, cut once or twice

Freezing weather sickness and.. progress!